Sunday, June 28, 2009

Birdwatchers?

This is the first baby bird, peeking out and just about to try out his wings....a
The second picture is early on, when the adults would take turns bringing food and feeding their two young birds. It was amazing how they coordinated the feeding. As soon as one returned with food, the parent would feed the baby birds, while the other flew off for food.

Ok, I've never, ever been interested in birds. However, recently, we have had some new renters in the bird house we nailed up on top of a tree stump in the front yard. We noticed one day, two birds who would fly in and out of the holes in this bird house. Shortly after, we noticed that every time the adult birds got close to the holes in the front of the bird house, there would be baby bird squeals coming from inside. We have watched this for about a month or better. This morning, as I was getting ready for church, Kay and I sat and watched the house. We found two small birds kept peeking their heads out of the hole in front. They each would actually get about half-way out, but then would retreat to the safety of the inside. I told Kay; "it would be just like them to take their first flight lesson and leave, just because I'm leaving for church". Sure enough, the minute I got home he said "You missed the most exciting thing". The two birds had been coaxed out from the bird house by their parents and taught to fly. They stayed around small limbs very close to the house. We watched the rest of the day and found that the parents were very attentively watching their two young birds making sure no harm would come to them. They have as of 9:00 p.m. not been able to fly back into the bird house. Their wings brought them out, but they don't quite know how to get back in. It's been amazing and nothing I would have thought I would be interested in. They are so cute, and have won over my heart.




2 comments:

Chris said...

I love birds!! I used to be into having hummingbirds in my backyard but I got tired of filling the feeders..lol. Guess I should be better about it because I always got so excited when I'd see one.

Kayleen and Kay Sheppard said...

We have totally enjoyed them this year. We had the family of birds 3 times in our bird house; we have these hummingbirds, plus the grouse that parade around the yard. I never thought I would get excited over any bird!