Saturday, May 23, 2009

Memorial Day

During the week of Memorial Day, I get very melancholy, just thinking about the loved ones I have lost. My Mom, especially, my Dad, uncles, aunts, brother-in-law, grandmother and those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms, the soldiers. I'm so glad we have this time to think back on our memories of family members and relate these stories to our families. If they didn't know them well, they can at least, get an idea of "who they were". I am so grateful to my mom and dad, for their generosity, not only with the money it took to raise 5 kids, but, their time and knowledge. I have learned so much from them and tried to carry that "parenting" on to my own 4 children. Now, I can help by including some of that with my grandchildren. I miss them so much and wish they could have been around more to know my children. Their examples will always stay in my mind. I remember when I lied about something when I was very young. Instead of taking out a belt and hitting me with it, my dad taught me in such a loving way, so that I have never forgotten the lesson. I also remember making muffins when I was in Jr. high school and forgot to put in the baking powder. My dad reminded me if you don't put everything in the mix, they won't turn out right. I think that lesson goes for your own life. If you don't include all things good, your life may end up in turmoil and you will never "rise" to the occasion. The other family members taught me a lot as well. My grandma always had her grandkids take turns staying overnight at her home. She would ask us what we wanted to eat for supper. We would always say "chicken pot pies" because she had a knack for making them so delicious! I learned how to be a grandma from her. She was only on Social Security, but found enough money to treat us to a movie and candy bars when we got home to eat when we watched, Lawrence Welk, Perry Mason and Gunsmoke. It was all so much fun and you never doubted that she loved you. I'm so glad that I asked her to sign my Senior Yearbook. She was really surprised I even asked her to do it. She thought I only wanted "friends" to sign it, but she meant so much more to me than my friends did. I love everyone else who has come and gone in my life and have learned so many things from them. I will never forget them and on Memorial Day each year, I try to remember little things about each person. Maybe that's why I get sad a few days before the actual day. I really miss them all. The most important thing my Mom taught me was to "Remember who you are". I have passed that on to my kids and know that the way she meant would keep us remembering how you need to earn and keep the respect of others around you and never let your name get dragged in the mud.

No comments: